Music at AVC
Musica Est Dei Donum Optima
(Music is the best gift of God)
- The AVC has a strong music program with special concerts presented for the Cape Ann Community throughout the year.
- The director of music, Kathleen Adams, a gifted organist with deep concert experience, plays our custom-made organ.
- Piano, harpsichord, flute, clarinet, and chimes are also part of the church’s music making.
- The choirs sing sacred music and hymns from many religious origins and cultures.
Upcoming Music Events
- December 13 • 7:30 p.m.
Lyricora's Holiday Concert
- "A Spotless Rose": Celebrate the season with the sublime sound of LYRICORA, a glorious 25-voice choral ensemble.
- With the evening lights from our whale oil lamps gleaming, and the church bedecked in greens, you can end your week with an evening of joy and beauty on December 13, the feast day of Santa Lucia!
- Admission at Door: $20. ($15: Seniors and Students)
- Online Tickets
- The Village Church Gallery Choir leads the congregation in hymns and liturgy from the gallery at Sunday services throughout the year.
- The wide range of repertoire connects our worship with many sacred traditions and periods, reflecting the content of the readings and prayers of the day.
- Wednesday rehearsals from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. take place from September to June.
- Sunday rehearsals at 9:00 a.m. (prior to the 10:00 a.m. service) take place all year long.
- Experienced singers and others eager to learn and improve their musical skills are all welcome to join this devoted and enthusiastic group.
- Audition is not necessary, but may be helpful in determining one’s voice part or best placement in the choir.
- Several seasoned, excellent readers encourage and mentor newer singers.
- The choir has openings for all parts: soprano, alto, tenor, and bass (baritone).
Schola Cantorum – Children's Choir
- The church’s choir for children, Schola Cantorum, takes an active part in the liturgy while learning a wide variety of music sourced from chant, folk music, and formal compositions both historic and contemporary.
- A gift of chimes has expanded the musical experiences of our children and offers more opportunity for education and participation.
- The Schola performs in the yearly Lessons & Carols service and Pageant.
- Our Easter tableau vivant at Squam Rock creates a very special context for youthful imaginations and talents.
- Choristers enjoy the fellowship of three other Cape Ann youth choirs, performing together during the Advent season and at an annual spring concert.
- Children aged 6 and up can become part of this choir, learning and sharing in the life of the church while broadening their musical knowledge and enjoyment.
Join a choir! Make a joyful noise! Learn to sing!
For more information see Music Director Kathleen Adams after church, or contact her at 978‑283‑6416 or KathleenAdamsMusic@gmail.com.